Friday, March 21, 2014

Blog 5

In, 1 Timothy 2:9 it states that a woman should dress modestly and without fancy clothing or jewelry.  The woman should be humble in her appearance and attitude. I believe Thecla did follow this message. It never mentions whether Thecla dressed in lavish clothing before she heard Paul speak, however, we do know she had planned to marry. In the story of Paul and Thecla it mentions that marriage was about riches and lifestyle, therefore, we can imply that she was not fully living the lifestyle 1 Timothy 2:9 describes for a woman. Although, when she set out to find Paul she dressed in simple clothing as to not attract attention. She did not want to dress in lavish clothing, her only concern was to find Paul and begin spreading the word of God.

 In 1 Timothy 2:11 a woman is encouraged to learn in full submission, which Thecla did when she listened to Paul. Her fiancé and mother were very displeased, because Thecla would not speak to them or move away from the window. She was immersed with what Paul was teaching and wanted to learn. Then, 1 Timothy 2:12 describes how no woman is suppose to teach or have authority over men. Paul actually tells Thecla to go and teach the word of God. He does so without mentioning whether she should teach to just women, just men, or both. I have interpreted that Paul wanted her to teach to both men and women even though that is contradicting with what 1 Timothy 2:12 says. The story of Paul and Thecla does describe Thecla teaching to women, but the story was never clear as to whether or not Thecla taught men too. I believe Thecla did conform to what 1 Timothy 2:1-15 says is right. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great points and the essay is interesting to read because I had thought the complete opposite. The essay is good for me to see how each of us can interpret the text differently from different backgrounds and coming from diverse backgrounds. I agree that Thecla had full submission towards Paul, but what about having submission to people close to her, like her mom and her fiancé? In the end, the essay starts to argue that Thecla did not conform to 1 Timothy 2:12 due to teaching the Word. In other words, does Thecla truly conform with 1 Timothy's understanding of women?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made same good points but I do also agree that Thecla violated the submission principle in regards to her husband. I believe that principle mostly applies to a woman's husband or male guardian. I also think that your essay needs a bit more of a conclusion or sense of closure since it feels like the ending was abrupt.

    Rachel Robinson

    ReplyDelete