Monday, March 3, 2014

Essay 4

Heather Albright
Essay/Blog 4
           In Ephesians I believe women gain more authority because it says that wives need to be subject to their husbands but it also says that the husbands need to love their wives as they love themselves and be willing to sacrifice their own lives for them. “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Eph 5:25) It also says that husbands should treat wives as they would treat their own bodies, with nourishment and tender care (Eph 5:29).   I think another way that women gained authority is when it talks about how the husband leaves his own father and mother to be joined with his wife, it says “the two will become one flesh” (Eph 5:31) I believe this line to give women the most authority because by saying that they have come together as one makes me think that they are equals within the relationship.   In the other readings it talks about how the wife needs to be quiet and submissive to the husband.  In Ephesians the woman gains power by becoming one with her husband.  “Each of you however should love his wife as himself, and a wife should respect her husband.” (Eph 5:33) I think this shows mutual love and respect within the relationship, and does not give one sex more power over the other. 
          The Women’s Bible Commentary talks about how the household used to be viewed as a domestic structure with duties for each member of the household.  It says the man has the superior roles as master, husband, and father and his slaves masters and children were expected to serve him (pg. 578).  It also says that the challenge for contemporary Christians about the book of Ephesians is that “ to understand the historical circumstance that seem to have driven the author to move beyond Paul in this respect, to recognize tension within the letter itself, and to appreciate the letter’s many significant contributions to Christian theory aside from its rather unfortunate view of marriage” (pg. 580).  I personally do not agree with there opinion of the book of Ephesians.  I do not see this as an unfortunate view of marriage but rather a fortunate one.  I like the idea of the woman and man loving and respecting each other and worshipping the Lord together as equals. 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment