Monday, March 17, 2014

Blog 5



In 1 Timothy 2:1-15 the author gives strict guidelines to how they believe women should behave. These guidelines are rather strict and really put a bind to women’s hairstyle as the author hates braided hair for some reason.  Yet despite these strict guidelines, not all women of the bible behave in the desired manner(s). In the Acts of Paul and Thecla, the former character is quite virtuous.  In fact, when she first comes across the words of Paul Thecla, “sat at a near-by window and listened night and day to the word of the virgin life as it was spoken by Paul; and she did not turn away from the window but pressed on in the faith rejoicing exceedingly. Moreover, when she saw many women and virgins going in to Paul she desired to be counted worthy herself to stand in Paul’s presence and hear the word of Christ.” One would think that this clear desire to remain pure and hear the word of Christ would count Thecla among the more Christ-like.
But later on Thecla is taken prisoner. In order to free herself, Thecla gives her captives her bracelets and a silver mirror (Acts of Paul and Thecla). These fashion accessories go against the guidelines in 1 Timothy 2:1-15, “women should dress themselves modestly and decently in suitable clothing, not with their hair braided, or with gold, pearls, or expensive clothes.” Yet it was these bangles that removed her from wrongful imprisonment so she could continue to be one of the faithful flock.
Finally, when Thecla is to be taken to burn at the stake she “looked upon the crowd, she saw the Lord sitting in the form of Paul and said: ‘As if I were not able to endure, Paul has come to look after me.” In that moment she believes Paul is the Lord and is preaching to the on looking crowd. As one might imagine this once again goes against the desires of the author of 1 Timothy 2:1-15, “Let a woman learn in silence with full submission. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she is to keep silent.” Now, I can’t say what style Thecla wore her hair, but since she does not behave in the ways of Timothy I can only imagine each individual strand is braided as it could possibly be.

1 comment:

  1. You did a good job listing all the ways in which Thecla defies the decrees of 1 Timothy. One cannot deny her role as a teacher after reading her Acts. She reminds me of many of the women I have encountered in the churches I've attended. I wonder how prevalent this passage of 1 Timothy is in the present church.

    ReplyDelete