The
title of my post was made in jest, but for the uninitiated this could be a
common thought after reading the inconsistent views of women in the New
Testament. We know that the authorship
of several of Paul’s letters is in dispute and that fact gives a likely
explanation for why some of these passages are contradictory. It would seem
that there was an effort to marginalize women within the early Christian
ministry, yet the Furnish reading shows us that this is a rather blatant
contradiction of Paul’s ministry.
Women
played important roles within Paul’s ministry.
In Romans 16 he writes about Phoebe, whom was a deacon and he mentioned
Priscilla, who he calls a co-worker in the ministry. Furnish compares Priscilla and her husband’s
title of “co-worker” with Timothy and Titus whom were also called “co-workers”
by Paul. This is meant to illustrate the
parity between Priscilla and Timothy and Titus, and it suggests that she had a
role that was just as vital as the men’s role.
A passage in
Ephesians tells women to “submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For a husband is the head of his wife as
Christ is the head of the church. He is
the Savior of his body, the church. As
the church submits to Christ, so you wives should submit to your husbands in
everything” (Ephesians 5:23-24). There
are many items to unpack here, but I’ll start by mentioning that the authorship
of Ephesians is disputed. The author
does claim to be Paul and I feel that this gives us some insight into the kind
influence Paul must of have had. The
part of the passage about women submitting everything to their husbands is at
odds with what we know about Priscilla and her husband Aquila; they are equal
partners in the ministry. I would not
expect Priscilla to submit to her husband as to the Lord, if they are truly
equal partners. I mentioned earlier that
Phoebe was a deacon; she’s in a position where men would have to submit to her
leadership and wisdom, not the other way around. I think Ephesians 5:23 is important to notice
because it infers a pretty significant gap between men and women. In this scripture, the author compares Christ
as the head to husband as the head.
Christ is obviously more significant and valuable than the church, but
does that same reasoning translate to the husband’s importance versus his
wife’s?
Your title was catchy, and I am sure we are all feeling as it says after reading the contradictory of "Paul's" writings.
ReplyDeleteThere is no citing of a secondary reading that see. I saw that you mentioned one, but did not go in depth with the mentioning or cite the author and such. Citing our primary readings more would strengthen this essay, and I believe it would help you stay on subject better.
This essay has valid points, but I believe it needs to be more about the subject of women in (Eph 5:21–6:9). Women were not as privileged within these writings as they were in the writings you discuss.
You do discuss the disputed-ness of Paul's writings, which is a good point with the differences we are seeing between different writings. But I believe having a paragraph solely dedicated to the condition of women within (Eph 5:21–6:9) would strengthen this essay.