Friday, March 14, 2014

Essay 5

Ashlee Odell In 1 Timothy 2:1-15 woman are treated very differently then Paul has treated them before. In this passage he instead tells woman to "learn in silence with full submission". He also says "I permit no woman to teach or have authority over a man, she is to keep silent".( 1 Tim. 2:11-12) In the Acts of Paul and Thecla Thecla follows this version of a woman to a T. She sits for 3 days not eating or sleeping or really even speaking, on a window seal just listening to Paul. She at no point tries to talk to those listening nor does she move from that spot. She does talk to her fiancé at the time and tell both him and her mother what she had learned but not in an authoritative sort of way. She also shows her faith in god when she is about to be killed by lions and she prays for god to let her go meet Paul. The lions do as they are told and start to be submissive to her(acts of Paul 243). She amazes everyone as she does this and in a way does do a bit of teaching to the people through this faith, which could be seen as going against what 1 Timothy says about women's role in the church. Thecla also finally gets to meet Paul at the end of the story and when she does she and Paul speak opening which could also be seen as going against 1 Timothy as she is not just in silence but instead plays an active role in her learning and trying to understand.

3 comments:

  1. I think you could elaborate more on how Thecla does or does not conform to Timothy's teachings of women. You do a good job on identifying her character, I would just use more examples and further explanation to show how you think she has or has not conformed and in which ways. Good job otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with Maria that more examples might help to underpin your argument a little better. Also, your beginning statement that Thecla "follows [the 1 Tim woman] to a T" doesn't seem to fit with your final sentence that Thecla plays an active role in her story and goes against the author of 1 Tim. Otherwise, your summary of her story is concise, and you do a good job of pointing out the most meaningful parts of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post but I do agree that elaboration will help with your argument. Maybe more quotes and analysis will help the essay to not seem like it is a summary. I liked your last sentence when you say that she plays and active role in her learning, I never really thought about her active role being to teach herself. Good essay!

    ReplyDelete