Monday, April 14, 2014

Essay 6

Sarah is known in the Hebrew bible as Abraham’s wife, and they are infamous for the couple that was unable to conceive until they were old. She has a small role, if it can even be a considered a role at all, in the Qur’an. The only mention of her is in Q11:69-83 when she is described as standing there smiling (Q11:71) and when she laughs and speaks out about her amazement at the messengers telling her she would finally become pregnant (Q11:72). However, though her part is small, she is portrayed as a happy and delightful woman.

The Qur’anic introduction of Sarah is extremely vague compared to the Hebrew bible. Sarah speaks from the very beginning of Genesis 16, and we become aware of the internal conflict she is struggling with. Having been unable to conceive, she is portrayed as unhappy and grudgeful, and she blames Abraham for her inability to have children (Gen 16:1-5). Sarah sends her husband to try and conceive with her slave because she thinks it is the only way she may have a chance at raising children. In comparison to the passage in the Qur’an (11:72), Genesis 18:12 portrays Sarah as laughing not out of delight (which can be interpreted from the Qur’anic verse) but out of pessimism. However, in Genesis 21:5-7, Sarah laughs again. This time it aligns well with the passage from Q11:72. She is delighted and pleased with God’s doing.


Sarah is once again portrayed as a jealous, unhappy woman. She is given a son and is yet still displeased. She orders Abraham to send away her slave and the son that they had together (Genesis 21:8-10).

3 comments:

  1. I agree that Sarah has a larger role in the Hebrew Bible then she does in the Qur’an. I think you do a good job of comparing and contrasting the two different stories but I feel as though your essay could have been stronger. I think you could have talked more about the autonomy that Sarah shows within the two books. I also interpreted Sarah’s laughing in the books differently. I saw it as her not believe what God was telling her and not a sign of happiness. I think you have a good essay of comparing certain aspects of the two books but you don’t really talk about Sarah’s autonomy as the question wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you.Your essay is strong and on point though, it lets the readers know the differences between the two stories. I like how in the Qur'an, even though she is given a small role she is also given a dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This essay does a great job in illustrating the differences between the Qu'ran and the Hebrew Bible. It could be stronger however by reflecting on Sarah's autonomy in each narratives. I think too, that a strong introduction stating your argument could help as well. You do a great job with interpreting the stories.

    ReplyDelete