Friday, April 11, 2014

Blog 6 (Odell)

Ashlee Odell Sarah is portrayed very differently in the Hebrew bible than she is in the Qur'an. Although the stories are very similar in story content the extent in which sarah even plays a role or drastically different. In the Qur'an Sarah directly questions Gods power to the messengers, as both her and Abraham are old(Q11:69-75). While in the bible she only overhears what is said about her bearing a child and then makes a questioning statement that is overheard by the messengers(Genesis 18). In the bible Sarah is also spoken about a lot more than in the Qur'an and is seemed to be spoken to in a bit higher esteem. She seems to play a larger role and is not just spoken to when her husband, Abraham is present as seen in the Quran. I think she has a lot more autonomy in the Hebrew Bible than she does in the Quran. Like I said previously, she is shown to speak to others without her husband present and seemed to be treated with higher esteem at those points.(genesis 18) Sarah also is given quite a bit of power in the Hebrew bible as we see in Genesis 16 where she gives her female maid-servant to Abraham as a result of her inability to conceive and when the maid-servant conceives, sarah is given sole power over what happens to her. In this case sarah handles that power unwisely and the servant runs away but even God stops the servant and gives Sarah power once again to preside over the maidservant. (Genesis 16) This treatment of Sarah is not spoken about in the Quran, although this may be that the Quran does not talk about this story in particular.

2 comments:

  1. You do a good job noting the significance of Sarah in the bible compared to the Qur'an. I think you could elaborate on more verses to strengthen your essay. Good job noting whether her husband was around or not, I think I may have missed this detail. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your reading of the two stories. Sarah definitely has a larger role in the HB than in the Qur'an. Like Maria mentioned in her comment, I also didn't think of the presence of Abraham being a factor in what Sarah speaks, but great job catching it! The only thing I might suggest is to work on structure by dividing your essay into sections that illustrate each of your points and ending with a strong conclusion regarding your overall thoughts on the topic. Otherwise, good job!

    ReplyDelete