We are first introduced
to Sarai in genesis chapter 16 as a barren women. She is overcome by jealousy
and rage at her slave, Hagar after commanding her husband Abram to obtain
children through Hagar. Then again, in chapter 18 of Genesis Sarah is present
again but as aged and rather cynical. In this chapter the lord promises her and
Abraham a son. She respond in laughter by saying “shall I indeed bear a child,
now that I am old?” (Gen 18:13). Furthermore, in this chapter, Sarah is
described as having lost the “manner of a woman” (Gen 18:11). This creates the
idea that her voicing her suspicion is out of line, because she is a woman.
Also in this way, because she is older her wisdom may in some way have prompted
her “out of line” behavior. I would speculate, with age a woman is less
accepting of her role in regards to her gender and therefore less willing to
conform to such standards. Nevertheless, Sarah does bear a child, in her old
age as God had promised (Gen 21). It seems that she takes this conviction with
great pleasure as she has finally bore Abraham a child and is rejoiced with
laughter.
In contrast, we find
that the story of Sarah in the Qur’an is much different. Sarah is never given a
name but we know that she conflicted by the same message that she should bear
children in her old age for Abraham (Q 11: 71). Furthermore, it is interesting
to note that the messenger is not the Lord himself, as we witnessed from the
Hebrew Bible, but by a group of “messengers” (Q 11: 69). Sarah’s presence
ceases there and there is no mention of her actually conceiving the child
either.
When comparing these
two books, it seems as though Sarah has more agency in the Hebrew Bible
compared to the Qur’an. This is most obvious in that Sarah only has one line,
without being mentioned by name, in the Qur’an whereas she is mentioned by name
and speaks or is mentioned often through several chapters in the Hebrew Bible.
The Sarah of Hebrew tradition is vociferous, aggressive, and witty. She asserts
her power of her slave and mocks God. This is characteristically unusual of a
women of the bible but there seems to be no hesitation in her
self-determination. In comparison, the woman in the Qur’an has little presence
and it is difficult to characterize her. Despite the lack of elucidation, she
speaks with the same sense of cynicism as the Hebrew Sarah, but this is in
parallel to Abraham's silence and cowardice. The difference between Abraham and
Sarah gives light to her autonomy and arrogance in the Qur’an though, too.
Regardless, we see the empowerment of the Sara in the Hebrew Bible, outweighs
that as portrayed in the Qur’an.
Your argument was clear with the right amount of evidence and analysis. I wouldn't change a thing, good job!
ReplyDeleteAs Christina said, great job incorporating so much evidence on your points! I like that you don't randomly throw quotations into your work, but that you comment on each one that you use. The only thing I might suggest is to create a more well-defined introduction. Your conclusion is great, and I think that an introduction resembling it would really help to tie your paper together. Great job!
ReplyDeleteYou have some really good points and I think you did a very good job. I would probably put just a bit more of an introduction and maybe a little more support but other than that I wouldn't change anything.
ReplyDelete