Monday, April 14, 2014

Blog 6

Sarai/Sarah have different characteristic from the Bible and the Qur’an. Sarai gave her consent for her husband Abram to take on a second wife. (Gen 16:2-3.) Abram takes on a second wife by the name of Hagar; the slave of his wife. Abram and Hagar conceive making Sarai worry that Hagar is contemplating against her. Sarah is given more character in this verse of the Bible, this is shown to be true in Gen 18 and 21 as well.
When Sarah is told that she is to conceive with her husband Abraham by messengers who were visiting their house. Sarah laughs at the men who relay this message to her husband because of the couple's old age (Gen 18: 11-13.) The Sarah from Gen 21 is not like the Sarah from before, she doesn't seem to need Hagar or her son anymore and banishes them after bearing Abraham a son. Even though Abraham begs her not to because he is torn, both of the boys are his sons, one being from his first wife and the other  from his second wife.

Both the Qur’an and the Hebrew bible show Sarah as a skeptic to the idea that the Lord would grant her and her husband a son because of their old age. In both passage she laughs at the men who bring her this news. In the Hebrew Bible we actually see the men talking to Abraham and Sarah talking to the men who come to their city, while in the Qur’an they are relaying their conversation of Isaac to Lot and his family. Sarah is given more freedom in the Hebrew Bible because she is listening in the tent behind her husband when the men bring the message of her future child to her, they even have a conversation with her. While in the Qur’an Sarah is given a voice but we aren’t hearing directly from her of her response to the news (Q11:71-72.)

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Sarah has different characteristics between both of the books. I think you do a good job of showing the differences within the two books and explaining how Sarah has more autonomy within the Hebrew Bible then she does the Qur’an. I think the essay could have been stronger if you cited more verses from the Qur’an as you did for the Hebrew Bible. I also think that you left out the part about Sarah laughing which I think is an important part in both books. I think overall you had a good essay and you answered the question and described Sarah’s autonomy within the two books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree that analyzing the Qu'ran a bit more would have really developed and strengthened this essay. However, you do a good job with explains Sarah's autonomy in the Hebrew Bible by citing specific instances and interpreting them. I think it would have been great if in the introduction you explicitly gave your thoughts on her autonomy in the narratives.and explained your reasoning in the rest of the essay. I too, think that overall this is a good essay!

    ReplyDelete