The Qur’ran’s version of Sarah does
not have near the autonomy her counterpart does in the Hebrew bible. Both
versions share that they gave birth later in life. In the Qur’ran Sarah proclaims,
“Woe to me! Shall I give birth while I am an old woman and this, my husband is
an old man? Indeed, this is an amazing thing.” This version of Sarah shows
nothing but joy. Now when one turns to the Hebrew Sarah and reads over the same
scene in Genesis 18 they see Sarah laughing at the notion that now after all
this time she will finally bear a son. It continues with her lying to her
all-knowing, all-seeing Lord claiming that she never laughed. Not once. It certainly
shows a certain amount of agency, hutzpah, and perhaps a dash of ignorance to
lie to a being that knows when you’re lying.
Hebrew’s Sarah continues her unique
ways by telling her husband to sleep with her slave in order to gain a son in
Genesis 16. As one might have predicted, jealousies begin to flare post
conception. Sarah decides she wants her husband Abraham to have nothing to do
with his son. The same son she gave him permission to conceive. Honestly, it
reads like something one might see on an ABC primetime drama. The Hebrew
version of Sarah is more memorable than the Qur’ran version with the addition
of a moxy lacking in the latter version.
I enjoyed your essay, as well as the modern relations you gave with it. It held true to one thesis, which was that the Hebrew version of Sarah had more autonomy than that of the Qur'an. I liked how you showed the extremely different reactions Sarah had when receiving the news that she would bear a child. Even though Sarah's version was significantly smaller within the Qur'an, we still were shown two very different reactions. You went into detail for both versions, explaining the extent of both situations.
ReplyDeleteI thought the essay made a good assessment of the changes we see in Sarah within the Hebrew and Qur'an versions.
I agree with your opinion that Hebrew Sarah/Sarai is more memorable than her Islamic counterpart. I thought this was partly due to the fact that the Hebrew Sarah actually had a name. I feel that the Qur'an version of Sarah/Sarai being known as the wife of Abraham, led to her being an afterthought in my mind.
ReplyDelete