Michal
and David’s relationship seems to be one without a great deal of substance. It
is said that Michal loves David, but the scripture never mentions her expressing
those feelings besides her courageous act of letting him escape and lying to
her father. Jonathan on the other hand, essentially promises to forever devout
himself to David by giving him his robe, bow, belt, and soul (1 Sam 18:3-4). Throughout
the scripture Jonathan continues to show his love by protecting David against
his father Saul. He speaks well of David and tries to reduce his father’s anger,
but he is unsuccessful. In 1 Sam 20:12-17, David and Jonathan swear their love
for each other and to never cut their love off from one another. These are strong
statements for men to promise each other, especially when David is married! Saul
is outraged when he realizes how strong Jonathan's love for David is. He becomes
very angry and conveys his distaste for their love implying they are homosexual
(1 Sam 20: 30-34). This allegation does not seem unlikely considering the statements
of deep love David and Jonathan have expressed for one another.
Throughout the time David was hiding from Saul,
Michal and David have yet to try to speak or see on another. However, it seems
quite important to both Jonathan and David that they stay in contact. I think
this story goes to show how marriage was more or less arranged for fortune,
status, and family heirs. True love between husband and wife hardly ever
happened before the marriage and it was unlikely it would grow into true love.
I also sensed some possible homosexual tones in Jonathan and David's relationship. I think the true nature of their relationship is a point of great debate. I definitely agree with your view of Michal's relationship with David, though I think Michal expressed feelings that I'm not sure David fully reciprocated. At least not from what we can read in the scriptures.
ReplyDelete